Frequently Asked Questions - Graduate Studies

Request Info
Request Info

Before You Apply

Q. Does the Frost School of Music offer Spring enrollment?
A. No, the Frost School of Music only accepts applications for Fall enrollment.

Q. Can I apply to more than one graduate program at a time?
A. No, the system that the Frost School uses is not equipped to handle multiple applications for the same applicant in the same year. If you are interested in a few different programs, please see Graduate Degree Programs for more information.


Q. How do I apply?
A. Graduate applicants apply to the Frost School of Music through CollegeNet. If required for your specific program, additional application materials should be uploaded via SlideRoom. Detailed application steps can be found under How to Apply.

Q. Is a prescreening required?
A. Yes, for some programs. Applicants to Choral Conducting, Classical Instrumental Performance, Classical Keyboard Performance, Classical Vocal Performance, Jazz, Keyboard Performance and Pedagogy, Orchestral/Wind Conducting, and Vocal Pedagogy and Performance must submit a prescreen via SlideRoom as part of the application. More information on prescreen requirements can be found under Audition & Portfolio Requirements.

Q. How do I check the status of my application?
A. Once you apply, you will receive an email from University of Miami Information Technology with log-in information for CaneLink. From there, you will be able to track the status of your application and supplemental materials. Please check your CaneLink regularly, as it is your responsibility to track the status of your application materials.

Q. I can't get into my CaneLink account. What should I do?
A. If you did not receive the original CaneLink email or are having problems accessing your CaneLink account, please contact University of Miami IT here: or check the CaneLink FAQ.

Q. I sent in my documents and they aren't showing up in CaneLink. What should I do?
A. All graduate documents that are received by the Office of Admissions are processed individually, and during high traffic times, such as around application deadlines, the process can take some time. Please allow at least two weeks for documents to be processed and marked as "Complete" on CaneLink. 

Supplemental Materials

Q. What supplemental materials do I need to submit?
A. All applicants are required to submit a resume, three letters of recommendation, and official transcripts from every post-secondary school attended. Some programs or degree paths also require a GRE score, teaching sample, TOEFL/IELTS score, and/or writing sample. Please see Degree Programs & Requirements for specific program requirements.

Q. Where do I submit my supplemental materials?
A. If you are going to submit materials via email, please send them to If you are going to mail materials, the address where you will mail them depends on the type of mailing, so please see Contact Us for more information.

Q. Do I still need to send in my transcript if I only took a few classes and the credits are on another transcript?
A. Yes. It is a University requirement that we have official transcripts for every post-secondary school attended, even if it is only a few classes and/or the credits appear on another transcript.

Q. Who can write me a letter of recommendation?
A. Letters of recommendation can be submitted by an employer, professor, or any other person who is not related to you. 

Q. My recommender is having a hard time submitting their letter. What should I do?
A. If your recommender cannot find the official letter of recommendation form, or if the letter has not yet gotten to our office, they may email their letter directly to

Auditions, Interviews, and Portfolios

Q. How do I schedule my audition?
A. If your program requires an audition, you will be contacted after the December 1st deadline to schedule an audition date.  All performance programs require a prescreening, and invitations to audition will be extended to those applicants approved by faculty review.

Q. If I cannot come to campus, can I submit a recorded audition?
A. Recorded auditions are an option, but require faculty approval before submission. Recorded auditions must include both audio and video, and must be uploaded to SlideRoom by February 1st.

Q. How many movements of a piece should I prepare?
A. All specific audition requirement questions should be directed to your program faculty.

Q. When will I get the results of my audition?
A. The Frost School of Music does not release individual audition results. 

Q. How do I schedule my interview?
A. If your program requires an interview, you may be contacted by department faculty to schedule a date. 

Q. Where do I upload my portfolio?
A. If your program requires a portfolio, please upload it through SlideRoom.  Check the Audition & Portfolio Requirements page for specific requirements. 

International Applicants

Q. I am an international applicant. What do I need to submit?
A. International applicants must submit course-by-course evaluations of their official transcript(s) and diploma(s) in the original language and an official English translation. Applicants must also submit a copy of their passport. Please see Application & Program Requirements for more detailed information

Q. How do I submit my transcript(s) and diploma(s)?
All applicants with international transcripts must provide a course-by-course transcript and GPA evaluation from either Josef Silny & Associates or World Education Services (WES). Applicants must provide both the original language and official translated transcript and diploma for evaluation, and all evaluations must be based on an official transcript and diploma. All completed evaluations and translations should be sent to PO Box 248165 Coral Gables, FL 33124

Q. What is the Frost School's policy regarding TOEFL and IELTS scores?
A. Test scores are required for international applicants whose native language is not English and who have not received a degree from an accredited English-speaking institution. Additional information can be found under Application & Program Requirements.

Q. If I decide to attend the Frost School, how will I get my student visa?
A. I-20s are handled individually starting after the April 15th commitment deadline. You will receive an email with details about the I-20 process after that time.

Decisions and Scholarship Information

Q. When will I know if I've been offered admission?
A. Graduate decisions will be released starting in late March.

Q. How do I accept or decline my offer of admission?
A. To accept or decline your offer of admission, please respond to the decision email you are sent. If you have been offered a financial award from the Frost School of Music, you will also need to sign your award letter and return it to Manny Santana, Programs Manager of Graduate Studies, at

Q. What should I do if I want to defer my enrollment for a year?
A. If you choose to defer your enrollment for a year, please email Robyn Davis, Assistant Director of Admission, at

Q. How do I apply for a scholarship?
If you are interested in being considered for a graduate teaching assistantship, please check your specific degree program website or contact the Program Director for the degree you are seeking to obtain information on award availability and eligibility requirements. 

Q. How do I apply for need-based financial aid?
A. You may apply for need-based financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The application can be found on the FAFSA website, and any questions can be directed to the Office of Financial Assistance.

Q. My offer of admission did not come with a financial award. What should I do?
A. Any questions about financial awards should be directed to your department faculty. However, please be aware that financial awards can come separately from an offer of admission.

General Questions

Q. How do I schedule a visit to the Frost School of Music?
A. When planning a visit to campus, we recommend you try to incorporate several activities. A meeting with the Director of Admission and Recruitment, class visits, faculty meetings, and campus tours may be available. Please contact the Office of Admission at the Frost School of Music at 305-284-6168 or for assistance and information about how to plan your visit.